We invite you to submit a proposal for the 50th Annual Conference of the International Visual Literacy Association (IVLA), to be held on November 1- 4, 2018, in Chicago, Illinois.
The conference theme is Viewing the Past, Picturing the Present, Designing the Future: Celebrating 50 Years of Visual Literacy. The conference will bring international scholars and researchers, teachers and students, artists, scientists and other professionals to Chicago to participate in an exciting exchange of ideas about visual literacy and how it has developed over the years and to speculate on its future.The conference facilitates the exchange of best and innovative practices, presentation of research results, and discussion of work in progress. Paper presentations, panel sessions, roundtable discussions, and poster sessions are invited.
Deadline for submissions: May 31, 2018
Possible Presentation Themes
- Teaching and Assessing Visual Literacy
- Visual Literacy in the Content Areas
- Visual Literacy and Instructional/Training Material Development
- Visual Arts and Visual Literacy
- Digital Literacy, Media Literacy, and Visual Literacy
- Visual Literacy Skills for Virtual Environments, e-Learning, and m-Learning
- Data visualization
- Emerging Technologies and Visual Literacy
- Globalization, Social and Cultural Identity, and Visual Literacy
- Visual Culture, Media, Communication and Visual Literacy
- Social Media and Visual Literacy
- Information Design, Graphic Design, and Visual Literacy
- Art Education and Visual Literacy
- Visual/Image-Based Research
- Visual Literacy/Visual Learning/Visual Perception/Cognition Research: New Developments, Current Trends and Approaches, and Future Directions
Conference Session Formats
Paper Presentation (PechaKucha or 20 min presentation)
There are two types of paper presentations:
- A PechaKucha (20 slides x 20 seconds per slide, approx 6 minutes total) or,
- A 20-minute presentation. A 20 min presentation is followed by 5 minutes for questions and comments.
Round Table (50 minutes)
Round table presenters facilitate and engage in a structured discussion with participants. All attendees have an opportunity to comment, question, or respond. This is an informal, personal presentation setting at a table. Presenters will not have projectors. Presenters can present to attendees by sharing their laptop screen, tablet or providing handouts.
Panel Session (50 minutes)
Discussion panels share a specific issue by a group of practitioners, and/or researchers. They are guided by a chairperson whom they selected, involving three to five panelists with different positions in the topic.
Poster (50 minutes)
Poster sessions will be on display for the entire poster session period. Presenters must bring a tri-fold poster. Presenters need only be present for one (scheduled) time during the poster session period.
- Deadline for Proposal Submission: April 30, 2018 (extended to May 31, 2018)
- Author/Presenter Notification: May 31, 2018 (June 30, 2018)
- Deadline for Early Bird Registration: July 31, 2018
- Deadline for Author/Presenter Registration and Confirmation of Attendance: September 15, 2018
Papers presented at IVLA 2018 are eligible to be considered for publication in IVLA’s refereed collection of Selected Readings (Online); submission deadline for the Selected Readings is announced later.
Papers accepted for publication in the Selected Readings, will be considered for the Editors’ Award, and the Braden and Beauchamp Visual Literacy Award.